Let's talk hair. Natural hair that is.
Clearly, crossing over into the natural hair community has become the latest and growing trend for women of African descent within the last few years. Personally, I think this trend has reached its climax in 2012. Every time I look up, I see another girl rocking a twa (teeny weeny afro, natural hair lingo) or some innovative natural and transitional hairstyles.
Yeah, its definitely a trend. Nothing wrong with that though. Trends come and go. However, is this natural hair trend, which has invited all types of women from different backgrounds of profession, personal style, beliefs etc., for everyone? One would think it's just hair so what's the issue? So what determines if you should rock it out all natural or keep it laid and relax? Well lets have a moment of truth. Everything is not for everyone. Hair is not excluded from that. I'm not here to judge, just simply making an observation. Do I think anyone could be natural? Yes. If you maintain the look. Natural hair is not low maintenance....at all (excluding long-term protective styles). Keeping it moisturized, sealed with oil, utilizing protective styles, weekly washes, deep conditioning and detangling!!! The list is endless for some (le sigh).
If you want to try being natural, do it. You will learn soon enough if this is a road you should go down. My suggestion is that you do your research. There are so many different tools available now to know where and how to start your hair journey. Just because its a trend does not mean its for you. So don't get caught up in the beautiful and eye-catching hairstyles of long textured hair you see on Youtube, Facebook or pictures floating around the internet on blogs, forums and websites. All that glitters is not gold.
Now, to address those who are not natural, more so onlookers, have strong opinions about this natural hair trend. Ignore the foolery. Everyone will not like textured hair on women of color. It just shows some would prefer we stick to the European look to make them more comfortable or how our hair should look. Don't you just love American society?Personally, I believe your hair is your Crown & Glory. Rock it the way you see fit. As long as its healthy, complements who you are and satisfies you, go natural. If you do not like the hustle and bustle of maintaining your mane, continue to pay homage to Sara Breedlove bka Madame C.J. Walker for all the wonderful products i.e. relaxer she created for us. It was created with a purpose, so use it if you choose to.
I love being natural. I enjoy creating unique styles, wearing inspirational styles by others and the process to get here was life changing . My hair journey was perfect timing in my life. It taught me patience, persistance and peace and I am still learning more about my hair...and myself, each day.To be....natural.
Always,
J
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment